21 July 2015

Day 2 - shuttles


Another wooden shuttle and I'm showing both sides of this. Yes - both sides. Isn't it amazing? Look how the inlaid parts of the dark wood are so well done. Absolutely exquisite.

I wonder who made this and where it came from? Suggestions? 

I don't think it's an old one but it's certainly a great addition to my accidental collection!!

I say 'accidental' because in the days before the internet and because I was always brought up to consider the shuttle as 'just a tool' I didn't really bother about them. OK, I had a beautiful inlaid one which was given to me when I was 14 (it'll be making an appearance later in this sequence of posts) but that was all I really had for many, many years apart from my work horses!!!



5 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful!

Sherry aka Celtic Dream Weaver said...

Could it be Chrisken Ken Surrey Shuttle. He is in Pam Palmer's book. Actually the shuttles pictured in the book there is one like yours. I have a few of his inlaid shuttles and His complete Tatting set he use to sell years ago. He has passed on.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely shuttle!
StephanieW

Kathy Niklewicz said...

I'm enjoying seeing these shuttles! They have a 'history' to them, plus a tantalizing mystery! They are so appealing and attractive, and are useful objects, too!

I also had no desire to 'collect' shuttles when I started tatting 25 years ago, especially since mostly they are 'post' shuttles, which I didn't prefer to use.

However, I've recently discovered a very practical use for post shuttles,(for single shuttle split rings, and for 'rings on rings' - in place of finger tatting) and now have a few in my tatting box). Even so, I'm refraining from collecting shuttles because I must 'reign in' on collecting more 'stuff'!

It's fascinating to see them on eBay, though, and amazing to see some of the prices!

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

Another beauty added to your collection!

Creative Commons Licence

Happy Beaks

Happy Beaks
I beg your pardon? I didn't quite catch what you said.