14 February 2015

Crafternoon

Yesterday it was 'Crafternoon' at Alcester library - the second meeting. 


I have two great friends who I volunteer with on Wednesdays/Thursdays and they'd asked if I would teach them to tat. 

It's ages since I've taught people right from scratch and I found it so interesting.  I realise that my hands are 'trained to tat' and that holding a thread is no problem because of that.  It's hard for new tatters to first of all 'see' the flip and secondly to achieve it.  I try very hard not to be a prescriptive teacher but to watch and see how a new student is comfortable with holding the threads and then work from there. 

Actually they did very well for a first lesson - just hope they come back for another 'go' rather than hit me over the head with a mallet!!!!  If you don't hear or see me after next Friday you'll know that the mallet came to Alcester!!!!

2 comments:

Pigmini said...

I'm sure they won't chase you with a mallet!!! You'll probably find out on Wednesday!!!! LOL

picotsnkeys said...

Teaching can be very rewarding. It sounds like you're approaching the task with zest and wisdom. I like that you observe and guide, rather than lecture and bully. I know those who pause to learn with you will grow!

Creative Commons Licence

Happy Beaks

Happy Beaks
I beg your pardon? I didn't quite catch what you said.